Sunday, September 18, 2005

Good Start Club Wide!

Everything is looking good at this point. Nice to see around 10 people in the room for Debate and know that some people are legitimately absent (sports & jobs). Speech has several new faces too. I think it would be awesome if they needed 2-3 judges at a tournament.

We are missing the instructional tourney on Sept. 24th which means we need to work a bit harder as a team to prepare for the first tourney. The first official tourney for LD is October 1. We'll find out soon if Speech is going too (it's up to the host schools and numbers).

I noted some changes coming at the Coaches Conference on Friday (Sept. 16th). I will let you know what affects you later. Most noteably, the state tournament (Orono) for LD will stop at 6 rounds so we can get home at a reasonable hour (may not be an overnighter after all). The champs will be determined by their record to that point. (I'm still the schmuck who will determine a winner, so I'll be awake to do it)

Some General Stuff For Speech and Debate:
  • Get blue cards (emergency cards) and return them ASAP.
  • Return permission slips ASAP
  • When our NFL dues are paid (soon) the team can order championship videos for free.
  • All events must have source citations ready this year. They will be randomly checked.
  • If you print and photocopy your information, keep it in a binder or folder at a tourney.
  • The calendar I posted is nearly identical to the official update. I'll send you the update when it is emailed to me. Clear your calendars now.
  • We need someone from the Club to represent us on a MFA Student Advisory Board.
  • I will allow Stuco veterans to continue in Stuco, but encourage change to LD or Speech.
  • I will send the bus requests in this week. I think we'll need 10-12 trips. (9 last year)
  • Speech will have new ballots and all events will have some minor rules changes.
  • Garrett is in charge of producing a Club T-shirt. Talk to him about your wishes. My only thought is that we really can't advertise our school in a round, so a removeable and warm article like a sweater would be good (but cost more).
Some LD only stuff:
  • We need to set up the "Debate only blog" (Amy's blog) for posting stuff the Speech folks don't need to be bothered with. This way the Club blog is clear for "all member" stuff.
  • Norman - Thanks for including the Speech guys in the title.
  • The Oct. 1 tourney is this club's first ever use of the Sept.-Oct. resolution in competition.
  • WE NEED JUDGES! They need to be trained by us before they go too.
  • BJ will continue to be the "training leader". Coty will be the "administrative leader". They have proven to be good at these tasks.
  • Watch out for novices on the verge of being overwhelmed. We need to match veterans to a couple of novices for support. Some anxiety is normal; too much causes people to quit.
  • We have the potential to win more trophies than even last year! Get your share! The whole team is elevated by anyone's win.

Enough for now. I'm impressed with the enthusiasm everyone has this year! Keep it going!

Mr. C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home