Week Off? Work on Next Year!
Don't forget that we have no meetings this week! Those of you who actually read this can pass the reminder on to the "slackers who don't read the blog". (quote from an unnamed club member)
However, I have a few other reminders for those who intend to compete well next year:
Don't forget the list of "characteristics" of the winners I sent after NFLQ's. Work on them every chance you get. All of you need to work on "delivery" so we'll start with that for now.
My challenge to you is to work on improving your spoken language skills, things like enunciation, grammar, vocabulary, elocution, pitch/tone, and poise. Rather than trying to improve all of them at once, work on each one separately when you have an opportunity. For example, use "high brow" language when you speak to a teacher. Work on tone when you do a classroom presentation. Work on your grammar whenever to speak to adults. Believe it or not, watch some "British" TV or movies and observe how formal their language is compared to your own (but don't start speaking with a British accent). Precise words, phrases and tone are used for a reason, and the Brits are experts at it.
All of you need help in this department and of course all of you have different strengths and weaknesses. Ask me what you need to work on and we'll customize your "improvement program". You guys don't have much of a problem building cases. Your biggest weakness is getting it across effectively to the judge.
Next week we'll see some of you at the middle school.
Mr. C
3 Comments:
ok, so this post wasnt directed me, but i just like to comment every chance i get (obviously)...but i could also help some ppl who'll be around next year work on skills if they want it...got nothin better to do ('cept maybe a track practice here and there)...but yeah...but dont worry, i'll still be 'around' next year, so i can help out tons....i love debate....
-jess
YAHARR~~this one goes out to ben cuz he told me so...
Mon Mar 27, 08:08:00 PM 2006
"but dont start speaking with a British accent"
it worked for sara though
haha
BJ
Mon Mar 27, 10:14:00 PM 2006
You can go with the British accent or with an American one, just be consistent. My Freshman year I used to go back and forth during rounds without knowing it.
P.S.- I'm in the computer lab right now. I was hoping to make tonight's practice, but, since there isn't one, no such luck. I've slacked off on checking the blog during my vacation. Anyway, I go back to Williams Sunday, so I guess I'll see you all when I get back at the end of May. I'll be back on the 22nd or 23rd probably.
Thu Mar 30, 02:39:00 PM 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home